Suzanne Simard Releases her Book “Finding the Mother Tree” on May 4th

On May 4, 2021, Mother Tree Project Lead Dr. Suzanne Simard will release her first book, Finding the Mother Tree: Discovering the Wisdom of the Forest.

In this moving and powerful memoir, Dr. Simard writes of her own life and research, weaving together her scientific discoveries and insights about tree communication with her deeply personal story of love and loss.

You can find out more about Suzanne’s book on her website at suzannesimard.com. If you’re interested in receiving updates about her upcoming book, you can sign up for her personal email list or follow her on Instagram.

35 thoughts on “Suzanne Simard Releases her Book “Finding the Mother Tree” on May 4th

1. Marc Bédard Pelchat says:

I think this book is already a bestseller. I for one bought it even before it was released and I am looking forward receiving it. This is so important and I hope it will eventually stop this clear-cutting that has been going on for more than 5 decades now, destroying the whole cycle of life on which we depend.

2. Tim Dumonceaux says:

I just finished reading Dr. Simard’s book. I went into the experience with some nonexpert knowledge of her work and emerged from it grateful for her gift of a deeper understanding of the beautiful BC forests and so deeply impressed by her strength, tenacity, and insightfulness. Highly recommended reading.

3. John Koon. Guemes Island Wa. says:

I just finished the book. Thank you Dr. Simard for this life’s work contribution to mankind. I came to this by way of Overstory & Hidden Life of Trees. Delightful pathway.

4. Sara Wright says:

I am a naturalist who lives in Maine where we are decimating our forests… I just finished the book and didn’t want it to end. I have loved trees all my life and as a writer continue to advocate for them. I would love to be part of this Mother Tree Project as a citizen scientist …. Perhaps someone could direct me to where I can find information on this issue. Suzanne ranks up there with Jane Goodall and Rachel Carson as heroines of mine.

5. Nancy Koziara-Clark says:

Hi
    Finishing up ‘Finding the Mother Tree”. What the author describes in the first is what I felt about the forests in my New England home in Massachusetts. Thank you for all the work you do to bring to the world, the discoveries of the successful, inter-related intelligent life of the forests. Defining this world according to human behaviors is not the truth…it’s ‘seeing’ this world as it is that is crucial. Hugs to all.

6. Laura bollinger says:

I read Finding the Mother Tree book. Is there a way to volunteer on this project? I have a BS in biology and up to orals in Pharmacology and have been a scientific writer for over 28 years.

7. Rodney Wood says:

Thank you! A book of hope and a good read on every level – scientific discovery, personal story and Canadian life. It deserves to be widely read.

8. Jacqueline Rich says:

reading it now. WOW, such depth of exploration – love that. A real treat to be so educated by someone who has REALLY done all this, herself. BRILLIANT….WELL DONE…..CHEERS …..

I’m loving your book; am on the Sunshine Coast, DAVIS BAY…Is there a group out here that I could join??
    Really would like to – with like minded folks – walks in the Forests here, with a knowledgeable leader.
    Anyone doing this?? If not, I’d participate in some way. Do contact me. Jacqueline Rich 778 977-9772

9. Merrilee Runyan says:

I just finished this book, purchased immediately after hearing Dr. Simard interviewed on National Public Radio. It moved me to tears, excitement and gratitude for documenting, in scientific language, what so many peoples of the world understand which is that we are all a part of nature, that life is connected and thrives in cooperation and collaboration and that we can heal ourselves by taking this understanding deep into ourselves. I think she has demonstrated that as we become members of our ecosystems we can assist in their healing as well.

10. David Brynn says:

Amen! I have just finished reading “Finding the Mother Tree”. It is a spectacular journey into the inner workings of a forest and an inspiring, soulful, spot-on forester. Your work aligns perfectly with our mission of putting forest ecosystem health first. We would love to join the The Mother Tree Project and bring it to Vermont. We are working with over 185 family forest holders with over 20,000 acres and we hold over 800 acres of permanently-conserved forever wild forests. We are already using Dr. Simard’s research to inform our family forest conservation plans. How can we help? Thank you and “May the forest be with you!”

11. Bobbie Miranda Crafts says:

This book made me laugh, cry and want to hug all of the thousands of trees my husband and I live among in the woods of northern Virginia. We have poplars, oak, maple, beech, black walnut and others whose names I don’t yet know but am inspired now to research, because of your brilliant, heartfelt book. Thank you for your honesty and compassionate understanding of the forests we need to revere, learn from and care for as part of the subtle chain of life that connects us all.

12. Elizabeth Brackett says:

I just finished this book and want so much to find a similar project in the northeastern US. We have 80 acres which we are trying to turn into a tree farm during our retirement, planting 1200 hardwoods, oak, maple, walnut, and cherry, and 300 larch and spruce on pastureland. We have used weedmats instead of Round Up, and used 5 foot grow tubes as a defense against the deer. I’d like to connect with others who have experience with this, particularly this year, where we’ve had the driest June in many years.

13. Frank Smith says:

This is a fabulous book. Your evidence supports what I have long believed. Thank you for your perseverance in the face of considerable obstruction. Take care of yourself. You are a keeper.

14. sandy popham says:

just finished the book, mind opening and gives me hope for future! I love concept that our forests/plants and world are connected via a fungal network, with a global consciousness.

15. Bill Butler says:

I am inspired by this book. I am semi-retired and have moved to 3 acres in Virginia. We have many (200-300? I cannot count them) trees. I am learning how to respect them, know their names, harvest those that are sick, heat my house with them. I need to learn much more. Clearly we live in communion with them, and all living things. We need them as they need us. Suzanne Simard has done all of us a great service. Courageous and smart, that would have been enough. But she also writes with lyricism!

16. Iain Climie says:

I enjoyed the book as much as I loved E.O. Wilson’s “The Diversity of Life” which included a chapter (Unmined Riches) on how tropical rainforests could be carefully and profitably exploited. In both cases, a willingness to learn from tribal peoples and their traditional methods stand out; they are not only saner than the greed is good brigade but may even make more economic sense. Many thanks Professor.

17. Joan Churchill says:

I also heard Dr. Simard speak on NPR and another podcast and ordered a book for me and my sister. I also lived in the Maine forest for over 40 years feeling the pull of the trees but could not explain the connection but now I know why. Thank you for sharing your research with us and like others, it has changed my life. Now I am in dry California where the balance of nature appears to have tipped.

18. Illène Pevec, Phd says:

I just finished reading “Finding the Mother Tree” and didn’t want it to end, and of course, the vital work to understand and protect the forests of our world continues. It makes me wonder what is happening in the Amazon, Borneo, Africa’s jungles, all the forests of the world that give us life, food, oxygen, hope. I develop gardens with schools and health projects for improving people’s connections to nature and healthy food. I plant trees at school for food and shade and would love to know how to support more mycorrhizal fungi on school grounds where so often the subsoil has been put on top during school construction and the ground is terribly compacted. I am using organic root stimulators on these trees and fish fertilizer but it would be wonderful to have a better knowledge of the best fertilizers to use when planting trees with kids. Maybe Dr Simard and her students could develop an inoculant that we could buy and the profits could support the forest restoration work. When I did a hole on school grounds to plant a tree and there is not one worm or bug I am really concerned for the zero life zone for that tree and for the kids also.

19. LINDA FAHRENBRUCH says:

I just finished this book this morning. I’m just an ordinary woman who loves trees. I was so taken with the story of how the trees interact and care for one another. I admired Suzanne for her perseverance and dedication. I wish everyone would read this story.

20. Paula Gray says:

LOVED THIS BOOK!!! As a tree hugger I have always been laughed at but I know now that that connection I have with trees is more important than I knew or expected. I am so glad that science has proven that we need these giants of the forest to heal the planet. I hope and pray that foresters and researchers continue to explore ways to answer our most urgent climate change issues. I really feel that we should send a copy of this book to every member of the US Congress and make it a required reading for those policy makers now and in the future.

21. Yudhvir Singh Sidhu says:

Loved this book from page one through day two. Just couldn’t put it down. Kept thinking of the book Entangled as I was reading. What a body of work, a labor of love and a lifetime! Suzanne, you da Mom!

22. Jacqueline Meszaros says:

Just finished Finding the Mother Tree! What a beautiful and profound journey into the beating heart of the forest. Thank you Dr Simard for sharing it with us in such an eloquent and accessible way.

23. Ellen Reney says:

Thank you, Suzanne, for sharing your story. I just finished reading it and I am so moved. Thank you for leading the way and reminding us how important it is to connect with nature. I would love to take part and help with the Mother Tree project. Thanks again – you’re my hero!

24. Ron Jordan says:

Thanks Doc, for putting into words the feelings—of those who love the forests. Keeping it simple but with hardworking scientific data, and the Mycorrhiza of mankind. Beautifully written book that I thoroughly enjoyed. To know nature is to sleep with the bears and slumber to their breathing. Peace . . . and thank you.

25. Dr Mark Kilgallon says:

Just finished reading this wonderful book. It expanded my knowledge and understanding about an unfamiliar topic to me. But this is no longer the case. There is a new hunger to make a difference for the next generations. Thanks for all your courage in pushing back against established truths.

26. Jean-Claude FOUERE says:

I genuinely enjoyed reading “Finding the Mother Tree”. It taught me a lot about the life of trees and of forests, taking me back to my youth in the French Vosges forest where I grew up. Thank you. Jean-Claude.

27. Richard says:

Dear Dr Simard
    Great read :-). It is just so obvious to me now, that the natural systems that have (and are) evolving should emulate our human evolution.

28. Andrew Baines says:

Just finished reading “Finding the Mother Tree”. Still reading book on Semiotics. The connection is this: semiotics teaches us how we privilege our human/cultural viewpoints when seeking to communicate. It may be that when we seek to communicate with trees, we do so expecting their pieces of the jigsaw to match with ours. Hubris on our part. It may be that the trees are already/ have been for eons nattering, laughing and joking, with us, seeking to teach us. Maybe the aboriginal peoples spoke the language of trees but couldn’t translate it directly into human language, preferring to learn and implement their lessons in the practicality of everyday life.
    Suzanne’s work may well be a step in the direction of us humbly seeking to communicate with trees acknowledging their “suchness”. It certainly felt that way to me. Wouldn’t it be life changing if we could decloak ourselves from our selves, our culture, our humanity and plug directly into the forests?
    Thank you Suzanne and all those who have worked with you to keep pressing this so needed/important message to us.

29. Claude LeBlanc says:

As canoeing along rivers in New Brunswick for many years with members of the Hannan family whose grandfather was a guide/guardian of the Northern NB forest with a diary of early NB forest management. A true guardian not recognized for his work.
    Your book places him as you as a lover of forest thank you for your great book.