The Mother Tree Newsletter – Issue 2

This is the second in a series of newsletters highlighting the work we are doing. Planning for the 2021 field season is now underway and most of the crew from last summer will be back for another field season this year. We have several new presentations to share with you as well as highlights from a newly submitted journal article.

Click here to read the newsletter (PDF).

19 thoughts on “The Mother Tree Newsletter – Issue 2

1. Joe Gardner says:

I just finished reading Finding the Mother Tree. I got it at the Purcellville, VA library. It was recommended by the Washington Post. Awesome book! I assume the Project has “insiders” with policy makers. I consider that to be the only way to make real changes.
    Suzanne, I hope your health is allowing you to really look into the future. Looking at the website I see you have lots to help.

2. Jane Rose says:

Is there any similar work being done near eastern NC? I am seeking to restore the land next to me where the forest was clear cut 2 years ago and extend the forest into the adjoining land that was field. I have read Finding the Mother Tree and loved it, but was left wondering how to best plant a forest.

• doug siddens says:

Hello Jane
      I’ve started a Meetup group “Hillsborough NC Permaculture”. We can connect there. I’m working on two acres.

3. Doug Graham says:

I would like to know what tree combinations Dr Simard has learned cooperate best with each other besides birch and fir. Is there a paper describing this? Thank you. D)

4. Susan Caruso says:

I just finished this fantastic book. I too, am a daughter of a lumber man and I feel such a connection to the forest. it’s must-read for anyone who wants the planet to survive and thrive.

5. Joy Ruppersburg says:

WOW! Greetings from Northern California USA where we are grateful for you and your team’s work! You book has just arrived and I’m reading it with wonder, learning from each page.
    I sent copies to friends who are retired foresters; they too appreciate your work.
    Wishes for good health and continued with The Mother Tree Project.
    Gratitude from Joy and the pack in NORCAL

6. Susan McCabe says:

I hold this book as sacred, and i broke my book’s spine in loving it so much and underlining and putting hearts. I teach ecopoetics, and I am assigning this book, and trying to figure out what we as poets can do in the forests. I would love to bring a group of Phd Students studying with me at USC in Creative Writing who are eco-poets, attuned to ecobereavment and hungry to help. The poet Brenda Hillman has tried reading poems to trees and with trees; perhaps our study could be what spots –we know of course Mother tree will have the best air—but what we could read to and hear back from the trees… if they speak at all, they speak poetry. I may try to get an NEH If there are ecologists out there wanting to join with poets let me know; and also if I might think of taking my USC may-master 2022 class to one of the recovering rainforests….

7. Suzanne Wright Crain says:

I cried when I finished Suzanne’s book “Finding the Mother Tree.” It is such an interesting and inspiring journey. How do I apply this research and knowledge to my own stewardship practices in central Kentucky, USA? I would love to walk through the forrest with any of your team. Thank you so much for your wisdom, research and vision.

8. Michael Vernon says:

I notice questions posted don’t have answers. Since there are so many questions that would benefit from comment… How are these questions answered?

9. Ginny says:

I heard about this project on Krista Tippett’s podcast On Being. Thrilled to learn about it, as I have worked to save trees in our neighborhood for years. Homeowners have to get permission to take down trees, and you would be amazed and disappointed at the reasons!
    I’m looking forward to reading your book, filling me with new wisdom to share with the community.
    Many thanks to the team and funders for making this work possible.

10. Jody says:

I have just finished your inspiring book on the Wisdom of the Forest and the Mother Trees, and would like to know more about the Northern California Redwood Mother Trees and how to best steward and prepare for climate change. I have lived on 127 acres of TPZ (Timber Production Zone in Santa Cruz Mts) for 20 years educating folks on the beauty and wisdom of the Natural World and in particular, the Mother Trees. I am ready for the next step in transforming the cultural narrative around carbon sequestering, and protecting our forests. Many thanks for your team and your continued research from Earth Matters. We look forward to hearing you at Bioneers this fall.

11. Meredith Miskowich says:

My first experience with community action to save trees was in Topanga, CA. The county sent notices that extensive tree trimming and/or removal was about to begin in Topanga Canyon. I have always been attached to trees, even as a youngster, and I knew the damage the government tree trimming does to trees and the areas where trees live. We successfully stopped the “topping” of our trees in the Canyon. Several years ago I moved to northeastern Ohio. In the Spring, there is an annual Maple Sugar Tour of local syrup producers. My husband and I visited one within 2 miles of our house. We spent over an hour talking with the farmer; it was fascinating. One of my questions was “How do you know how many taps to put into a tree so that you take enough for yourself but leave enough sap for the tree to survive and thrive?” His answer floored me. He said that he taps local trees on private property with permission. He emptied his buckets every day so the sap would not sour, being much like milk. One tree always had overflowing buckets with sap. When he visited the tree one year, there was a lumberman choosing trees for lumber the next year. He said this particular tree would be taken. The farmer decided to put more taps into the tree to see just how much sap it would give. When he came back the next day, all the buckets were empty. “That tree knew it was going to die,” he told me. Goosebumps covered my body at the time and now, having read “Finding the Mother Tree,” I know why. She was going to send her lifeblood to her kin.

12. Toby DuPlayee says:

I really loved the book. I was wondering if anyone is studying forest recovery from a tornado. Our 12 acres was hit really hard back in July and we dont want to clearcut. I would love any input on how best to help the forest recover. Thanks

13. Dr. Lena Measures says:

Enjoyed Finding the Mother Tree. Just started reading The Golden Spruce. Working with my municipality in Quebec who is updating their urbanism plan. I live in the Laurentians which still has natural areas with many trees, mostly secondary growth but, as elsewhere, there is far too much development as people are leaving the cities, such as Montreal, for the countryside where some want to build monster homes and cut the trees to do so. Developers need to be restrained by municipalities. Preserving forest cover and soils, including old growth trees, protecting water courses and wetlands, reducing noise and light pollution and erosion and protecting biodiversity and natural areas are key goals. One must work with local municipalities, being positive rather than highly negative and provide suggestions and support to meet these goals which many people who move here cherish. Being a retired scientist my expertise is more with wildlife, not trees per se, but wildlife needs habitat which includes all forms of flora including trees. Dr. Simard’s work has enlightened me that cooperation amongst trees exists and benefits local ecosystems. Work with local NGOs and your municipalities and regional governments to effect change in how forests and our environment is “managed” for future generations.

14. Solveig says:

Thank you for your steadfast work in behalf of trees and humanity. ( Most humans don’t even understand why trees may save us.) Just last night (on TV) I saw how in Africa, where water is nearly non existent, the last pines on cliffs were cut down on cliffs by loggers repelling to cut them. They said they drink too much water! Then they show the vast, deforested lands… How ingnorant can humans get? This imagine will be with me a while.
    Thank you again for your book. The loving way you wrote about the forest and all that is alive in it; your family and your journey. I am grateful. You give me hope. I live in a forest but now I see so much more.